Thursday 3 November 2011

My first session in the studio.

Location
My location for this shoot was at college in the studio as it reflected the background in Vee Speer's photographs. The lighting was the only thing that was altered to create the lighting of the background.

Equipment
For my shoot I used a canon 5D Camera with a Canon EF Zoom Lens 24mm - 105mm
The lighting I used was continuous lighting so that I could get the right effect on the background.

Who influenced me?
The photographs that I taken in my first studio shoot were influenced by the photographs taken by Vee Speers. They was very emotionless but I tried to add a bit more colour to the model by getting him to wear bright clothes and using objects that are brightly coloured. The tonal range of the background was quite grey which still gave the dullness to the photographs. Most of my photographs were taken with my model facing towards me and with the photograph cutting off the bottom of his legs but I wanted to mix it up so I took some photographs of my model sitting down. I wanted to create the unusualness of Vee Speers photographs so I got my model to bring a range of outfits that was all different but each had a weird sinister side to them.  
I also had a little bit of influence from Ian Phillips-McLaren when I took some photographs of my model in normal clothing.

Health and Safety
While doing the photo shoot in the studio they was a few things to consider like the wiring in the studio, making sure it was not frayed or damaged, making sure it was PAT tested and making sure we never tripped over it.While moving props I made sure that I bent my knees and kept my back straight to avoid injuries. 
When in the studio I used a naked flame but I made sure that it would not be able to cause damage to the studio or harm to my model. That's why I used a lighter instead of matches as if a lighter is dropped then the flame goes out.

Shutter speed - 1/50secs, F4.5, Focal Length 58mm

Shutter speed - 1/50secs , F4, Focal Length 58mm

Shutter speed - 1/50, F4, Focal Length 58mm

Shutter speed - 1/50secs, F4.5, Focal Length 58mm

Shutter speed - 1/50secs, F4.5, Focal Length 58mm

Shutter speed - 1/50secs, F4.5, Focal Length 58mm

Shutter speed - 1/50secs, F4.5, Focal Length 58mm

Shutter speed - 1/50secs, F4, Focal Length - 58mm

Shutter speed - 1/50secs , F4.5, Focal Length - 58mm

Shutter speed - 1/50secs, F4.5, Focal Length 58mm

3 comments:

  1. I think you've done really well for your first studio session - I really like the photographs of him reading the newspaper - particularly the one in the armchair - I like the conflict between the image of the person and the newspaper page you have caught so well in the photo. I also like the last picture with the duck, the splash of colour works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quirky shots!! I especially like the 'Tigger Suit' and reading the newspaper - They look like you have mastered the lighting in the studio :-)
    You can show me how's it's done X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    Are you aiming to do another shoot or do you have enough images here?
    Then you need to select the best from the shoot to go towards your final 10 images, we can then work these through photoshop as we discussed.
    If you are doing another shoot can you start to get this organized please and let me know when you need the studio.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete